Monday, June 10, 2013

Be Thou My Vision


Be Thou My Vision, O Lord of my heart

This wonderful hymn has always been a favorite of mine, the words and the tune. 
Several years ago we visited St. Paul’s Cathedral in London and were privileged to stay for the Evensong service.  We tourists heard an explanation of the service, then were ushered to the main “quire” for the mostly musical service.   While seated in the well-worn red padded pews with dim lamps, I had visions of Charles and Diana’s wedding years ago and imagined all the magnificent choirs sitting there.  

While this was an Anglican service, I joyfully recognized the last hymn in the service, but with different lyrics to “Be Thou My Vision”.  I was overcome with wonder and awe at being in this beautiful cathedral and singing with other visiting Christians one of my favorite hymns.  It must have been the older English version, Lord of All Hopefulness.  I later learned this originated as an Old Irish hymn using text from the 6th century.

While hymns have interesting histories, our experiences and memories are often linked to them forever.   Praise be to God.   

Nancy Sutch, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment