Monday, July 15, 2013

How Great Thou Art


“What hymn always makes you think of your parents or grandparents?”

Whenever I hear or sing the hymn “How Great Thou Art” I am transcended back to the summer of 1965.  I was 17 years old and camping with my family in Rocky Mountain National Park.  After breakfast on our first day in the park, we decided to explore the terrain behind our tent.  We climbed the slope to discover that we were on the top of a ridge with a majestic panorama of a glacial valley below us.  We were quiet in its beauty.  Then a family member – I don’t remember who – suggested that we sing “How Great Thou Art”.  So we did.  In that sacred moment I recall the elation and humbleness of being united together with my mother, my father, my four siblings, and my God.

Victoria Sherman

No comments:

Post a Comment