Monday, January 16, 2017

Deacons Doings by Amy Shelton

Amy "working" at the ABC Sale
 “Will you consider being a deacon?” I heard this question for years ~ actually decades. And most of
the time I truly thought “are you kidding me?!?” Mom. Wife. Daughter. Sister. PTO Secretary. Band Parent. Handbell ringer and Choir singer. Part-time employee. And now you want me to be a deacon too?!? SERIOUSLY??? So I kept saying “no” for years ~ too much on my plate. But the empty nest hit and I realized now is the time.

As a member of the Class of 2017 I am on my last year of my threeyear term. So how has it been you may wonder? Being a deacon broke me out of my church music only bubble to see a lot more of what our church does. As a deacon I’ve had a front row seat for the generosity of this congregation and the hard work of the people “behind the scenes”. From folks taking donations weekly to Circle of Concern to the Miraculous Transformation of the entire church into an awesome Giant Rummage Sale (ABC Sale), I’ve seen Christian charity up close and personal. I’ve helped deliver meals just because “We Care”. I’ve delivered flowers to folks who couldn’t make it to church but are so happy to have a visitor and a chance to chat. I’ve learned about some fabulous organizations that I’m proud St. Mark supports like Presbyterian Children’s Homes & Services, Lydia’s House, and Lafayette Industries to name a few.

 I’ll always be a church musician, but thanks to my deacon term I’m so much more. I feel my journey with Jesus is much fuller and deeper thanks to my new involvement and friends. So if you get asked to be a deacon, go ahead and jump in! The benefits far outweigh the risks or concerns. You’ll understand your church more, make some fabulous friends, and deepen your spiritual journey. As a commercial once said: “You’re worth it”

No comments:

Post a Comment