Tuesday, February 9, 2021

CREATING HAIKUS

 

by Judy Richardson January 19, 2021 

Needing others we are lost 

Epidemic trapped 

Seeking God to see us through

 I remember my grandmother’s last days. Ella Hanks had been a first grade teacher for many years. After she retired and Grandfather had died, she had time alone and she was very sad and told me how lonely it was without him to help her feel connected. 

My Uncle George came to live with her and I know she enjoyed his company, but his eating habits drove her crazy. One day, she fell and hurt her shoulder. She had tripped over a table leg and fell. She said she was shocked that he appeared naked from his shower and immediately pulled her up to a standing position. It is possible that his “help” was what caused the damage to her shoulder. 

My uncle was so afraid that she would fall again and he would not be able to help her properly that he insisted she enter the nursing home across the street. 

Her days in the nursing home were long. When I talked with her she told me she was ready to die, but in the meantime, despite being in a 4-bed ward with the television going day and night, she said she was writing haiku poetry in her head. 

I didn’t really understand haiku poetry, but I have decided that in this tumultuous world that I might find some solace by following my grandmother’s example. 


If we refuse to wear a mask 

And we spread disease 

Do we show our neighbor love? 

Vaccines being made give me hope 

For days without masks 

Worshipfully singing hymns.

No comments:

Post a Comment