Thursday, August 5, 2021

Pastor's Letter

 Dear Friends, 

It has been wonderful to see so much activity inside the building and about the church grounds! For many months the hallways have been empty of people and all the sounds that tell us there is life happening. In recent weeks, we have rejoiced in the return to worship, small gatherings, in-person meetings, and even vacation Bible school. In that activity and return to something that reminds us of what life was like before the pandemic we have regained some spring in our steps and joy in our hearts. 

And then, just as we were beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel, we are once again faced with reminder, in the form of another county mask mandate, that the pandemic is far from over. When I heard the announcement, I think I felt my soul begin to deflate. My head hung low, my shoulders sagged, and a tear formed at the corner of my eye. 

And then I prayed to God to help me understand. I prayed asking for strength to continue through this part of the journey. I prayed for my family, my community, my church, the country, and for the world, that we would all have strength to continue on through each bump in the road. As I sat praying, I was reminded that though we have been under stress and life as we know it has been in a consistent state of recurring deformation*, we are resilient**! 

I was suddenly aware of how quickly we all sprang back into action once we were allowed to return to in-person activities. We were able to return to that activity because we stayed active and planned ahead even though we were never sure what was going to happen next. We are resilient because the God who created us gives us strength to carry on each and every day. We are reminded with our VBS Bible verse:

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power. Put on the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For ourstruggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness.” Ephesians 6:10- 14 NRSV 

Peace, blessings, and prayers for your continued resilience, 

Pastor MP 


*Definition of deformation: alteration of form or shape. 

**Definition of resilience: the capability of a strained body to recover its size and shape after defomation caused especially by compressive stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment