Thursday, July 6, 2023

God is Timeless

 “July already?”, is a question I have heard repeated by many folks over the last week or so. I find myself
pondering the same. As I think about it, I am harkened back to my school days. I remember my parents often telling me that I should cherish my summer breaks from classes and enjoy all the free time it afforded me. Because, when I got older, time would seem to fly by and summer breaks, for most people, would become a thing of fading childhood memory and fanciful adult desire. 

“Time flies, when you are having fun.” Time seems to have slipped by without notice.” “Oh my, where has all the time gone?” “Boy oh boy how time is dragging along.” These commonly used phrases all seem to speak about time as if time changes depending on our circumstances; that somehow time has the ability to more quickly or more slowly depending our individual perception of it. Except when we change our clocks for daylight savings adjustments, time never changes. At least in the way that I am describing here. 

Time is constant. And it is this consistency that we count on. Imagine setting your alarm, going to sleep awaking at the scheduled alarm only to discover that time had sped up so much that you were now two days behind. And the next day you do the same thing but awake only to repeat the day before. Life seems like this sometimes. Life throws us into chaos leaving us adrift like waves in the ocean and time out of sync. We reach for something to hold on to but there is nothing there for us to grab. 

Like time, however, we do have one other thing that never changes, never slips away, never speeds past us, and never seeks to drag us to a halt. God. God is constant. God is that which never changes. God is who we can reach out to and hold on to knowing that we are held already by the hands that created the universe. 

Peace and blessings, Pastor MP 

No comments:

Post a Comment