Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Faith Stories

What is a “faith story”? A story that inspires faith in the reader.”  We leave

it up to you, the reader, to decide what is a faith story and what is not.

Today we publish five faith stories written this summer. Each week after

this we will publish a new faith story from a church member.

 

The stories we share here have this in common:

·      They tell a story about the writer.

·      They show a difference between “faith” and “ordinary life.”

·      They are each readable in less than five minutes.

 

We hope you are inspired, not only by the faith we express, but by the

challenge to write your own faith story.

 

If you write a faith story you would like to share with the congregation, send

it to Bill Tucker for feedback and publication. Only with your permission, we

will publish it on the St. Mark Blog. 

Bill Tucker

wtucker@emich.edu

 

Follow this link to read our faith stories:https://discoverstmark.blogspot.com/search/label/Faith%20Story


Faith Lessons From Nature

It was a chilly, windy, cloudy, December day in Kansas when I decided that I needed to get out of the farmhouse. I hiked through the pasture, around a farm pond, and started walking along a fence back toward the farmhouse. My wife’s stepfather (Harold) had really strong tightly wired fences, and this fence transitioned into a hedge row of Osage orange trees, which made the barbed wire even tighter, with especially small openings between the strands of barbed wire.

I reached a patch of tall dead sunflower stalks that were mixed in with a variety of other tall plants, (i.e., weeds). I walked to the right of this patch of tall dead plants that extended out about 50 yards from the fence. As I walked around the patch of tall weeds and headed back toward the fence, I saw what appeared to be a deer buck at the fence looking directly toward me. However, there was something wrong. I was confused by its appearance.

As I walked directly toward the buck, I began to realize that the buck’s antlers were stuck in the small openings of the tight fence wire strung through the hedge trees. As I walked closer, I could see that the buck was motionless, hanging limp on the other side of the fence with only its antlers holding it up. Still closer, it became obvious that the buck was dead. Its open eyes looking directly toward me were glazed over in a death stare.

I continued my hike along the fence walking away from the buck. I was thinking what a sad and gruesome sight it was, and how that buck must have suffered for hours or days before dying. As I continued walking a short distance, something began to draw me back to that buck. I’m not sure what it was. Perhaps it was curiosity. I remember thinking as to whether the buck been wounded and whether that somehow caused it to get caught in the fence.

I crossed over to the other side of the fence and walked back to the buck, but this time I was on its back side. I looked carefully at the buck just a few feet away, and I could not see any evidence that it had been wounded. However, I noticed that its right ear moved a little, which I quickly concluded was caused by the strong wind. I moved one or two steps closer to the buck.

Suddenly, to my absolute surprise and shock, that buck came to life pushing forward with all its strength to escape from me! The fence hardly flexed, and after just a few unsuccessful pushes the buck gave up, completely exhausted and weakened from similar previous efforts. The buck looked at me from the corner of its right eye in fear.

I was still in shock, as I stood in disbelief as to what had just occurred. I could not believe that my initial conclusion that the buck was dead was so grossly incorrect. At the same time, I realized that I had a dilemma. I couldn’t walk away leaving the buck to continue suffering until it died. Should I get my rifle and put it out of its misery? Should I call a game warden, who might not come for hours? As I was pondering these options, I had another thought.

I climbed back over the fence to the same side that I was on when I first saw the buck. I went around that same patch of weeks and walked directly toward the buck, who was looking at me. However, this time the buck instinctively attempted to move backward. After pulling on its antlers a couple of times, it was able to break free from the fence! It immediately ran several yards away, but in its weakened condition, it did not run very far. I watched it for a few minutes until I was convinced that it would be okay.

As I walked away, I was pleased with myself. I had saved a buck’s life! I decided that when I told this story to others, I would name the deer The Lazarus Buck.

My thoughts then turned to some faith and life lessons from this event, and over the years, those thoughts have expanded. I have wondered if this was God’s way, through nature, of leading me in my faith. I have placed those faith lessons into two categories.

First, the buck nearly died because it kept pushing forward on the fence without trying any other options, such as pulling back from the fence. It is so important in our faith to not get so set in our thinking that we aren’t willing to consider some changes in our beliefs and way of thinking. We need to be open to new faith ideas, to be willing to consider and accept different ideas as to how God wants us to live, and to broaden our acceptance of others that have different faith and morality beliefs.

Secondly, my role in saving the buck’s life was a faith lesson on how I could, and should, make a greater effort to help others in their times of need. Sometimes situations can unexpectedly develop where we can help others in life and faith. We need to be ready to recognize such opportunities and be willing to help others through words or actions. At the same time, we need to be open to accepting help from others. It isn’t a sign of weakness to accept help, or constructive criticism. Sometimes, we don’t recognize how others can help us in our lives and in

Loren Polak

August 2023

Faith Statement of Sharon Joyce  

I was nine (9) years old when I decided I wanted to be a Christian and follow Christ’s teachings for the rest of my life. I actually remember the date: March 27, 1957. I had a diary then (which I’ve kept) and it was noted with BiG letters!

I went to a “Children’s Crusade” at my neighbor’s church. At the end of the program they talked about dedicating your life to Christ, and I went forward. I had been going to church with another neighbor, but didn’t really apply what I was hearing until I went to the Children’s Crusade.

My parents didn’t go to church. My dad said he was excommunicated from the Catholic church when he was divorced, and subsequently had a low opinion of the church. Nevertheless, when I got home the night of my decision, he was sitting in the living room and I told him what I had done. He wasn’t sure what to say but mumbled something like “that’s nice”.

My other neighbor though (“Ma” Kopp and her daughter Betty), the ones I had been going to church with, were very happy when I told them. They encouraged me to read the Bible and to follow God’s teachings all my life. They became the ones I went to when I had questions.

I remember once when I was nearing my teens the kids at school were talking about the world coming to an end on a certain day. This freaked me out, but when I asked Betty about it she sat me down and showed me in the Bible that “Neither the day or hour” would be known to man when the world would end. She said whoever had said that was a false prophet and should be ignored.

Wonderful news! I continued to go to their church through my Junior High years--I was even baptized there. This church was an Assemblies of God, evangelical church. Although I made friends and played in their band with my clarinet and flute, I didn’t feel comfortable with their strong focus on “speaking in tongues.”

When I was in high school I joined a non-denominational church for its great youth program. I was very involved with this group--they had many activities that I enjoyed. Some of my best friends were part of it. My first boyfriend was even part of this group. I met him on one of their hayrides. I remember Betty and her Mom saying it was important to hang out with other believers. They even told me to be sure I married a believer!

When I met Rob in college, I found out that he too was a Christian. Part of our dating involved Bible study. I thought back to what my neighbors taught me, to “marry a believer”. This definitely was one of the reasons I felt safe with him and our relationship grew. We both felt God meant for us to be together. We ended up getting married in the church where I had originally made my decision to follow Christ!

We faithfully went to church and Sunday School, and raised our children in the church. When we moved to Missouri one of the first things we felt we needed was to find a church that fit us. Moving had presented a challenge in many ways—I missed my longtime California friends, but knew I could find good friends in church.

I believe God led us to the Presbyterian church we eventually joined. We became part of a small group—in that Bible study we not only made friends, but our faith grew. God helped get us through multiple rough spots.

By following God’s teachings I have had a good “map” for leading a good life. I feel blessed. God is important in my life. I believe it’s important to stay grounded in God’s word by continuing to learn. Doing regular Bible studies, going to church, getting involved with others who need a friend, and hearing God’s word through our pastors and teachers is important.

I have been involved in various ways with the running of church programs, from Stephen’s Ministry to being an Elder, Deacon, an adult Sunday School teacher, as well as in leadership of Presbyterian Women. I believe that my faith helps me to be kind, patient, loving, and encouraging. God needs workers. I believe God wants me to use my talents to further God’s work. This is what I have tried to do. 

Sharon Joyce Cardwell 8-9-2023

 Saved by One Word


During the first 10 years that we lived in Wisconsin, Loren and our neighbor Carl would spend several weekends in the late summer and early fall cutting down trees, splitting the logs and stacking them neatly under both of our decks. We heated our homes with wood burning furnaces. Wood was plentiful and fuel oil was expensive. After 10 years, our income was higher and the price per gallon of fuel oil was lower, so Loren and I discontinued using the wood furnace.

Fast forward to Ballwin 20 years later. We had a large tree in our backyard with one dead branch that needed to be trimmed. After 10 years of consistently cutting down trees and more years trimming them, Loren had lots of experience. We were aware of the dangers involved but this was just a branch, not the entire tree, so I was not overly concerned.

I was concerned about him balancing on a ladder to cut the branch and wanted to be sure the ladder was secure, so I was at the base holding it in place. As Loren began to cut, I was looking up and lots of sawdust was raining down upon me, so I looked away. It was from this moment that I don’t recall all the details, only that I heard, “Run” and I did. The branch had snapped upward knocking Loren’s arm and the chain saw was propelled away from him. He was clinging to a branch and the ladder had toppled over. The chainsaw was still running when it landed in the place where I had been standing.

Loren did not tell did me to run, and even if he had I would not have heard him above the roar of the chainsaw. I am very thankful that the “voice” spoke to me and that I listened.

Christine Polak August 2023


This I Believe—Names Have Power

Choosing the right words to convey a message is the focus of a good PR team. We can think of great successes and great failures. McDonald’s will always bring a smile to your face while Edsel will leave no warm feelings at all.

In February I found an absolutely precious heart-shaped box of Valentine candy at Walgreen’s. On it was a wonderful picture of a sloth hanging from a tree with the caption, “Let’s Hang Out!” The box jumped in the cart and a theme for the next Presbyterian Women’s brunch was running around in my head. The reactions to the idea were mixed. They ranged from “Oh what a cutie” to “They are dirty lazy creatures” and on to being one of the 7 deadly sins.

So, my quest began. “Sloth” the word, does not have a positive connotation. Does that apply to that cute little animal in the trees of Latin and South America? Has he just had a bad PR team? He managed to survive and evolve when the giant land sloths that ranged in North America went the way of the dinosaurs. There must be more to the story.

As I have studied these creatures this summer I have learned that yes, they are the slowest moving mammal. They sleep ten hours a day. They come down the tree once a week to do their business. They are covered with algae that provides camouflage for the animal and a whole ecosystem for the sloth moth. They have poor eye-sight. They are not geniuses. They are not social animals. I have also learned they are strong swimmers and survivors against jaguars and harpy eagles. They always smile. They can’t frown.

So why have I developed a real attachment to this animal? It seems to sum up what I think God is calling me to ponder in my heart. I don’t understand all the disparaging, downright hurtful, words especially in regard to young people. I recently led a book discussion about Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan. In the PR for the book it was described as “Mad Honey is a riveting novel of suspense, an unforgettable love story, and a moving and powerful exploration of the secrets we keep and the risks we take in order to become ourselves.” Yes, there is mystery and a corpse but the overarching story is that of a transgender teen trying to find a place in the world and the world’s reaction to the effort.

Honestly, I considered not doing this book but it was too late and I didn’t want to shy away from it. I needed to see where this book would take me. Coincidentally, not long after this, I sat with a new member of my professional society of educators who was instrumental in the formation of PFLAG in St. Charles County (PFLAG is the first and largest organization dedicated to supporting, educating, and advocating for LGBTQ+ people and their families.) This seems like a God-thing connection.

And it took me to the message of the sloth. The animal has anything but a positive connotation. The characteristics we see in the sloth are the way it has been made and loved by the Creator. Recent study of the sloth has brought to light the unique talents and used for its role in the world…humble or great. As we journey through our daily lives we see just a part of what is around us. The people, the places and actions are all subject to descriptions that we and society create in our minds.

Sometimes these descriptions are harsh and unfair and we don’t even realize that the PR we subscribe to can be detrimental to them and to us. All God’s creatures—great and small—are the work of a loving, imaginative, wise and caring Creator. I believe we must slow down and be mindful as we choose the words we use in life. This I believe, we are all made the way we are. God help me to understand and accept all God’s creatures.

Mary Beth Peterson Powell



 This I believe----CAY-3
Wow! What a Presbytery Meeting! Attending a Presbytery Meeting is not necessarily high on most people’s list of a momentous occasion. I am very proud of Giddings-Lovejoy Presbytery and the actions taken at the August 24, 2023, meeting. I will never forget that meeting.

The issue on the docket concerned reparative action to address a series of events beginning in 2006 that resulted in a Black congregation being saddled with a huge debt. There was a line drawn between “reparation” and all that word suggests in today’s culture, and “reparative action”, which works to “move from apology to action.” The two motions involved the Presbytery assuming the remaining debt and reimbursing the Black congregation for the principal and interest they have paid over the years.

Being Presbyterian, there was lots of “order”. There was prayer to begin and prayer at the end. There was respect. There was consideration for anyone who wanted to speak. There was serious discussion. There was no accusatory blame. There was no hurry to rush through any portion of the meeting. There was a heavy sense of responsibility to the past AND to the future. You could feel that in the room—and even remotely via Zoom.

As that meeting ended, I was uplifted in the thought that there is hope for us as human beings, as a culture, as a country—when we follow Christ’s path. This was an experience so far removed from what we see daily in the news and all around us. God was in that room. God was in our hearts.

The guest speaker before the meeting, Rev Jimmie Hawkins, PCUSA Director of the Office of Public Witness, reminded us that we have a responsibility to act on what we believe. We are charged to advocate, to step up and speak out when there is injustice or wrong, just as Christ taught. Standing up, acknowledging the wrong, and taking action happened at that meeting.

Cay Noble August 2023




No comments:

Post a Comment