Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Faith Statement of Sharon Joyce


I was nine (9) years old when I decided I wanted to be a Christian and follow Christ’s teachings for the rest of my life. I actually remember the date: March 27, 1957. I had a diary then (which I’ve kept) and it was noted with BiG letters!

I went to a “Children’s Crusade” at my neighbor’s church. At the end of the program they talked about dedicating your life to Christ, and I went forward. I had been going to church with another neighbor, but didn’t really apply what I was hearing until I went to the Children’s Crusade.

My parents didn’t go to church. My dad said he was excommunicated from the Catholic church when he was divorced, and subsequently had a low opinion of the church. Nevertheless, when I got home the night of my decision, he was sitting in the living room and I told him what I had done. He wasn’t sure what to say but mumbled something like “that’s nice”.

My other neighbor though (“Ma” Kopp and her daughter Betty), the ones I had been going to church with, were very happy when I told them. They encouraged me to read the Bible and to follow God’s teachings all my life. They became the ones I went to when I had questions.

I remember once when I was nearing my teens the kids at school were talking about the world coming to an end on a certain day. This freaked me out, but when I asked Betty about it she sat me down and showed me in the Bible that “Neither the day or hour” would be known to man when the world would end. She said whoever had said that was a false prophet and should be ignored.

Wonderful news! I continued to go to their church through my Junior High years--I was even baptized there. This church was an Assemblies of God, evangelical church. Although I made friends and played in their band with my clarinet and flute, I didn’t feel comfortable with their strong focus on “speaking in tongues.”

When I was in high school I joined a non-denominational church for its great youth program. I was very involved with this group--they had many activities that I enjoyed. Some of my best friends were part of it. My first boyfriend was even part of this group. I met him on one of their hayrides. I remember Betty and her Mom saying it was important to hang out with other believers. They even told me to be sure I married a believer!

When I met Rob in college, I found out that he too was a Christian. Part of our dating involved Bible study. I thought back to what my neighbors taught me, to “marry a believer”. This definitely was one of the reasons I felt safe with him and our relationship grew. We both felt God meant for us to be together. We ended up getting married in the church where I had originally made my decision to follow Christ!

We faithfully went to church and Sunday School, and raised our children in the church. When we moved to Missouri one of the first things we felt we needed was to find a church that fit us. Moving had presented a challenge in many ways—I missed my longtime California friends, but knew I could find good friends in church.

I believe God led us to the Presbyterian church we eventually joined. We became part of a small group—in that Bible study we not only made friends, but our faith grew. God helped get us through multiple rough spots.

By following God’s teachings I have had a good “map” for leading a good life. I feel blessed. God is important in my life. I believe it’s important to stay grounded in God’s word by continuing to learn. Doing regular Bible studies, going to church, getting involved with others who need a friend, and hearing God’s word through our pastors and teachers is important.

I have been involved in various ways with the running of church programs, from Stephen’s Ministry to being an Elder, Deacon, an adult Sunday School teacher, as well as in leadership of Presbyterian Women. I believe that my faith helps me to be kind, patient, loving, and encouraging. God needs workers. I believe God wants me to use my talents to further God’s work. This is what I have tried to do. 

Sharon Joyce Cardwell 8-9-2023 

We hope you are inspired, not only by the faith we express, but by the

challenge to write your own faith story. We are re-posting the stories from last summer hoping you will be inspired to share your faith story with us.

 

If you write a faith story you would like to share with the congregation, send

it to Bill Tucker for feedback and publication. Only with your permission, we

will publish it on the St. Mark Blog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment