Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Taking the Stage



By Kathy Deters
Though Halloween is still almost two months away, rehearsals have already begun for this year’s children’s choir Christmas musical, “The Secret of Snowflake County.” Anyone who has attended one of these musicals knows that they are filled with lively music and an inspiring message. St. Mark’s annual Christmas musical is Christian entertainment at its best…second only to rehearsals for these lively productions.

When my family first joined St. Mark Presbyterian Church almost three years ago, finding a church with a children’s choir was at the top of our list of my priorities; some of my best Christmas memories from my own youth involve dressing up as a sheep and singing a rap in front of a Christmas tree (if you saw the whole musical, it made sense—I think). It was important to me that my own children have that same opportunity. It’s a fun way for children to be exposed to some of the Bible’s most valuable lessons, it enables them to serve the church by inspiring the congregation through music, and it provides a gentle reminder of the meaning of Christmas, at a time when the season has so many distractions.

I had no qualms about letting my oldest daughter join the choir; she loves to sing and has performed in various school talent shows and dance recitals. But when the choir director, Lisa Marsh, invited my son to participate, I was a bit nervous. He was just under the minimum age, but more than that, he tends to be more introverted than his sister. He’s soft-spoken, prone to anxiety and at times, a bit rebellious. In short, he’s certainly not your run-of-the-mill, angelic choir member-type. But, against my better judgment, I took him anyway.


Lisa Marsh
When we arrived for that first practice, what we found was an entire room filled with children just like him; some were squirmy, some were rowdy, some were a bit shy and soft-spoken. I knew from past experiences that at other churches, this simply would not be tolerated; the annual Christmas musical is serious business, and not to be disrupted by any shenanigans or tomfoolery, but Ms. Marsh made it clear that every child had a role to play in St. Mark’s Christmas musical. I appreciated this perspective and yet, when she asked if it would be all right if she gave my little guy a few lines, I stammered nervously. She laughed and assured me that he’d be just fine so we practiced his lines every night, but still, I was nervous. He’s a bit of a loose cannon; I was certain he knew his lines, but I had no idea how he would react once he was on stage…or whether he’d even go on stage at all.

As the months progressed, the squirmy children became less squirmy and more focused, and the quiet kids grew more confident, their voices joining in with more enthusiasm. At that final dress rehearsal, it was clear these children understood the importance of what they were about to do: share God’s love with hundreds of people. When they walked onto stage for opening night, well, they might still not have been angels, but they were about as close to them as I’ve ever seen. And when my own son walked onto the stage and whispered his line into the microphone, I whispered my own small prayer of thanks.

As I watched those children perform, each one with their own line, I realized the importance of giving every child a role to play. Where would we be without the shy kid, the rebel, the rabble rouser, the little guy that’s sometimes overlooked? We’d be without the teachings of Moses, Jonah, Joshua and Zaccheus. And just as the choir director had found a part for each of those children to play, God finds a part for each of us to play, as well…as long as we have the courage to take the stage.

The children’s choir meets Wednesday nights from 6:15 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. in the choir room, and will begin Sunday morning rehearsals at 9 a.m. Oct. 7. For more information, contact Lisa Marsh. And mark your calendars for this year’s Christmas musical, Dec. 8 and 9. I can’t think of a more entertaining or inspiring way to kick off the Christmas season.

Kathy Deters has a background in public affairs, and currently works as a freelance writer for St. Louis Sprout and About magazine. Transplants from the First Presbyterian Church in Jefferson City, Kathy and her husband Jeff are grateful to be members of St. Mark Presbyterian Church, which has provided lots of wonderful opportunities for their three children to enjoy. When she’s not writing and watching cartoons, Kathy enjoys watching Mizzou football and the St. Louis Blues. Go Tigers!

2 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen! Speaks to much more than simply the children's choir - thanks for the warm and personal perspecive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy, for sharing your perspectives and for sharing your children with the St. Mark congregation!

    ReplyDelete