Monday, August 12, 2013

Here I Am Lord

"I send my messenger. . .who will prepare your way before you." Mark 1:2

Reading Mark 1: 1-13, I was reminded of both the simplicity and complexity of our life on earth.  Simple when we understand God sent Jesus for each of us to change our lives.  Complex when we realize that we are called to translate our faith into support for our family, friends and those we can reach.  This translation is different for each of us, but just as we were taught, we must teach others.  Reflecting on my role as a teacher, I found some new words to an old hymn.  May they provide insight and guidance for all of us
Here I Am, Lord (new verses for teachers)
Chorus:
Here I am Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling me this day.
I will teach, Lord, if you lead me;
I will hold your children in my heart.



1. I, the Lord of life and birth, value every age's worth.
Nurture all I send your way; My hand will help.
Families are gifts I give. Show them holy ways to live.
Open minds and eyes to me.  Who'll teach my ways?

Chorus

2. I, the Lord of Young and old, want my stories to be told.
Teach them in your church and homes; I will be there.
Fill their hearts and songs to sing let them bring their offerings.
Listen to the doubs and prayers.  Who'll teach my ways?

Chorus

3. I, the Lord of font and cup, covenant to lift you up.
Splash the water, break the bread; pour out your lives.
Faithfully my love you'll show, so their hearts will always know.
They are mine eternally.  Who'll teach my ways?

Chorus

Linda LeBron, 2002, copywrite.  Used by permission.

Gil Sherman, written in 2006 for "Twenty Days to Easter"

No comments:

Post a Comment