Monday, June 5, 2017

Deacon's Doings

Thank you to Joyce Blackwell for sharing her thoughts this month: The current Board of Deacons is blessed to be among great role models at St. Mark. Did you know that approximately three quarters of St. Mark’s adult members have been ordained as deacons? WOW! It is so obvious and logical that last year's Mission Study Report included this summary sentence: "We believe in caring for and supporting one another, and deepening our faith through the active use of our time, talents, and treasures.”

During a lunch meeting a few weeks ago, a friend/former business colleague and I were comparing notes on being empty nesters and retirees. We laughed a bit about how our calendars were much fuller than we had anticipated. He observed that I was very content about how I was spending my time and asked me why. I’ve thought about this a good bit over the last four years of being a deacon. My love language is “acts of service”. I like being active: doing & serving. Being part of the “ordered ministry of service” as a deacon has helped me more clearly hear, feel, and understand what our Triune God is calling me to do.

The Mission Study Report also clearly noted “… congregants have expressed an eagerness to do more “hands on” work as well as check writing; as a more authentic expression of their faith and to make more of an impact on their immediate community.” This bodes well for our future as we transition into a new season of ministry as well as develop and execute a unified vision for our next 50 years. I’m excited for our future “doings”? How about you???

No comments:

Post a Comment