Sunday, February 24, 2019

Worship Prayers for Feb. 17

CENTERING PRAYER*          *J. Birch, FaithAndWorship.com


In my waking and arising, be the first thought that enters my head.
In my eating and drinking, be the first thought that enters my head.
In my walking and journeying, be the first thought that enters my head.
In my working and serving, be the first thought that enters my head.
In my sowing and harvesting, be the first thought that enters my head.
In my rejoicing and sorrowing, be the first thought that enters my head.
In my resting and sleeping, be the first thought that enters my head. Amen.


CALL TO WORSHIP (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

Blessed are those who trust in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
They shall be like a tree planted by water, sending out its roots by the stream.
It shall not fear when heat comes, and its leaves shall stay green.
Its leaves shall stay green; in the year of drought it is not anxious, and it does not cease to bear fruit.
Grounded in love, let us worship our God together!

PRAYER OF CONFESSION

Merciful God, your call to discipleship is demanding. You call us to reorder our lives by the kingdom you are bringing through your resurrected Son, Jesus Christ. We still pass by the ones you especially notice: people who are poor and hungry; people who weep. We have not stood with those who are vilified, mocked, hated, bullied, and excluded. Comfortable with the way things are, we are far too complacent and even complicit with actions of injustice and prejudice. Forgive us, O God, and turn us back to your gospel. We pray this now, for our sake, and for the sake of the world; through Jesus 

For the sermon "Here and Hereafter", click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment