Thursday, April 11, 2019

God's Time

2 Peter 3:8 Good News Translation (GNT)

But do not forget one thing, my dear friends! There is no difference in the Lord's sight between one day and a thousand years; to him the two are the same. Good News Translation (GNT)
Photo by Artem Maltsev on Unsplash

 At bedtime, my daughter and I sometimes read Bible stories out loud.  After the stories, we talk about them and I give her my interpretation.  When we read about the creation she seemed confused.  As happens many times when I try to explain something to my kids, I found myself struggling.  I finally told her that maybe the six days it took God to create the earth and sky could be six days in God's time.  Because God's world is so big, a day to him might be a thousand years to us.  I also wanted to assure her that no matter how enormous God's work seems to us, we are part of his plan.

To know that God is in control and changes happen in God's time is hard for me.  I'm restless and seek quick answers for my life's problems.  I always feel I should be doing more.  Life goes by at such a fast pace now that it is hard to be patient for very long.

One of the reasons I enjoy Sunday worship is that although I know that the service lasts an hour, there are no clocks and I don't wear a watch.  It is a different time without beepers or phones.  I don't feel guilty I'm not multitasking and trying to get another activity done.   Church is not something on my "to do" list.  I really feel it is time for me.  A time for me to reflect and realize God is in control, and that is the way it has been since beginning.

We thank you, God, for giving us peace.  We know that you'd to things on your time, not ours.  You understand the world and the heavenly picture.  We are limited by earthly time and space.  Watch over us Lord, while we watch our watches.  Help us remember that every time we glance at a watch, that you are watching us.  Let that give us peace.  Amen

Re-published from St. Mark Presbyterian's 2000 Lenten Devotional with permission of L. Larimer, the author.  
Copyright © 1992 by American Bible Society

No comments:

Post a Comment