Sunday, July 19, 2020

Worship July 19


July 19, 2020 
ORDER OF WORSHIP
CENTERING PRAYER

God of all times and all places, be with us in this time and this place. Just as you spoke to your people through prophets and poets, we pray we might hear the Word you speak to us today. Just as you spoke to your people through deeds and miracles, we pray we might have eyes to see the Word you speak to us today. Just as you called your people to act in the midst of your creation, we pray we might have feet to walk and hands to reach out; for the sake of your Son who gave his life out of love for the world. Amen.

PRELUDE    Jesus Walked This Lonesome Valley    Livingston 

WELCOME and ANNOUNCEMENTS

CALL TO WORSHIP (Psalm 118:5-9)

Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
With the Lord on my side I do not fear. What can mortals do to me?
The Lord is on my side to help me; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in mortals.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in princes.


† HYMN    “O Lord My God”    Hymnal #625

PRAYER OF CONFESSION

Savior God, we come to worship today with heavy feet and confused spirits. You command us to take up our crosses and follow you, but we are too comfortable maintaining the status quo, and we lose our way. We confess you as Lord when the winds are favorable, but we deny you with our actions in the middle of the storm. Betraying your call to take care of the least of these, we abandon our hungry, thirsty, and persecuted neighbors. Forgive us, Lord for the sins we do not understand and for the sins we commit willingly. We pray remembering your steadfast mercy is from everlasting to everlasting. (Silent Confession)

ASSURANCE OF GRACE 

† SHARING THE PEACE OF CHRIST The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you. 

SCRIPTURE     Luke 23:32-49

 SERMON     “By Your Side”     Rev. Dr. Dave Burgess 

AFFIRMATION OF FAITH – Heidelberg Catechism Question One

Q. What is your only comfort, in life and in death?

A. That I belong--body and soul, in life and in death--not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.

OFFERING 

SPECIAL MUSIC    On Christ, The Solid Rock, I Stand    Pethel 
   Declan Phipps, Cello

 † THE DOXOLOGY 

PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE & THE LORD’S PRAYER 

† HYMN    “What Wondrous Love Is This”    Hymnal #215 

† CHARGE AND BLESSING 

BENEDICTION RESPONSE   “Jesus Remember Me”    Hymnal #227 

POSTLUDE Dialogue du deuxieme ton Boyvin 

†You are invited to stand, as you are able.

No comments:

Post a Comment