Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Harbinger of Christmas

Christmas is around the corner—just 19 more days. We have our tree up and decorated, and my husband has put out lights outside, though they seem to work off and on. Yesterday hubby brought up three plastic bins from the basement, all full of Christmas decorating stuff. We usually put all this stuff out which has been enjoyed by the family for years. However, this year I’m just not in the mood to set all that dusty, cutesy stuff out. It seems like overkill.

Am I being a Scrooge?

Likewise, by now I usually have most of my Christmas cards addressed and ready to go, with a Christmas letter and maybe even some pictures of our family. I don’t feel like doing that either. Anyway, do people still send Christmas cards via snail mail?

Most of my shopping is done (though none wrapped). Most of it was ordered online. I just didn’t feel like going into stores looking for that “perfect gift”. I’m not sure it’s all appreciated anyway, and it seems too commercial. I’d like a simpler Christmas.

A simpler Christmas is more sparce on the decorating and less emphasis on presents. More on the meaning of Christmas and would include going to church with the whole family. I suspect that I am not alone in these thoughts. It seems every year I think “this Christmas will be different” meaning it will be simpler and not so rushed and frantic.

In the past I have literally made myself sick by trying to do all the things for Christmas. I have ended up in bed on Christmas, sick with whatever bug is around. I had a blood test recently and my antibodies were up. This is good and may prevent me from the curse of sickness this season. Last year I had pneumonia following Covid on Christmas. My family ended up doing all the cooking and cleaning.

My calendar is filling up with Christmas activities. I enjoy being with family and friends and these activities are always fun. They are also places to catch bugs from others. I just read today that ICUs are filling up again with Covid patients. I need to rethink how exposed I might get. My mask needs to be used. I need to remember that I don’t have to do every activity.

These are the thoughts I am currently struggling with. I’m not sure how this all will work out. I think that prayers and meditation will help put me on the right road, to enjoy the season without the stress and sickness. Can a simpler Christmas occur for me?

Sharon Cardwell

12-6-2022

No comments:

Post a Comment