Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Change


As I sit here in my office on what feels almost like a spring day following this past week’s long deep freeze and eating a hot bowl of homemade beef vegetable soup, my mind drifts to memories of my childhood. The smell, taste, and look of this soup takes me back to my mothers’ kitchen in the dead of winter when she would get the large soup pot out and concoct her version of beef vegetable soup. That pot would sit on the stove a good chunk of the day blending together the individual flavors and scents of each ingredient until what wafted through the air was what I now call one of mom’s hugs. As kids, my brothers and I would be anxious for the soup to be ready so we could sit down and savor that first sip of that season’s installment. 

I think about all the hours, effort, and love that my mother put into creating that soup alone. I didn’t see all the little things she did but I know she took care to make sure that no step was missed and no ingredient left out. She did it because she loved to cook and she loved to take care of her family. She had a passion and gifts and she shared them with those she loved best. 

I look around here at St. Mark and see that same sort of care being taken by you. Some of you are sharing your gifts of music singing in the choir, ringing the bells, or playing a concert instrument. There are those who minister to in home worshippers and students away at college. Folks from the greater community who attend our events are greeted by your smiles and your hospitality and your invitation to do life together. We have bakers, and cooks, teachers and guides, technicians and repairpersons, writers and videographers, leaders and helpers, those who set up and those who clean up, those who are creative and those who organize, and so much more!!! 

We individually do not get to see all the steps and all the ingredients that go into what makes our “soup” (what makes St. Mark tick) here at St. Mark. But we do know that there are steps that folks are careful not to skip and there are ingredients that are sure to be included. And it is all because of your love for one another and your desire to follow our lord and savior Jesus Christ. Thank you all for your discipleship 😊 

Peace and blessings, Pastor MP

No comments:

Post a Comment