Thursday, July 4, 2024

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” Hebrews 12:1-2a 


When May comes around each year, there is plenty of chatter about summer. Especially for those who have the summer off or have a programming year that is September through May heavy. I am thinking about school age children and young people, plus teachers. Though not a true reality, that is how my brain has logged this 9-month period. It is still true to some extent but things have changed from when I was in grade school, as I imagine they have for you.

 Long gone is the slow down time of summer, or so it seems. Families schedules are fuller than ever with summer sports clubs, music group camps, and other such events that, at least in my own memory of my own childhood summer memories, never used to take up so much space on the summer calendar. Then add in all the vacation trips our culture tells us we need, along with weddings, graduation parties and more and before you know it, it is September again. Sweet summer but a memory once more. 

I wax nostalgic about the days when I would go to my parents and complain, not only words but with the slumping of my shoulders and the grimacing of my face, how BORED I was and how I had NOTHING to do! I long for the times sitting on my grandparent’s porch in Southwest Pennsylvania on a warm summer evening drinking sweet tea and chasing imaginary snipes (birds in reality though we were told they were real creepy night creatures, that would “get us” if we were not careful enough). 

Though I will always long for those times, I know that hanging on and trying to recreate or relive those memories is misplaced use of the time, talents, and energy. Sure, it is good to remember. It is also good to keep my focus forward as I move through life. God calls us to look ahead. If my eyes are looking back I am sure to stumble and go the wrong way. 

Summer for me is still the most wonderful time of the year and I still seek to take some slow moments, sit on a porch, and drink some tea chatting with folks about life. But I also know that I have new memories to make and new paths to take. My summers these days are not boring and are filled with the blessing of mission trips, meal packing events, vacation Bible school, and so much more! I encourage you pray that God will reveal what this summer has in store for you! 

Peace and blessings, Pastor MP

No comments:

Post a Comment