Monday, September 9, 2013

Benefits of Singing in the Choir


When I was a child, I sang in the choir at Bellefontaine Methodist Church.  Before the new sanctuary was built, we worshipped in the old historic church built by slaves.  The choir, at that time, sang in the choir loft, which we were told was where the slaves had sat.  Being out of sight, we had a lot of time and opportunity for hi-jinks, including paper "accidentally" flying out of our hands, over the edge into the congregation.  It was a wonderful, but social occasion. I am still friends with several of my fellow choir members. Occasionally, we had moments of being a part of something big, especially when we marched in with the adults on special Sundays.  I can still sing the alto section to several of our hymns, today, thanks to that wonderful experience.



Proclamation Choir 1980's
St. Mark Cherub Choir 1980's
I have not sung in a church choir since I was a teenager although I encouraged my children to sing through high school.  While none of us are soloists or have particularly good voices, I believed that church choir taught them to follow directions, read music, work as a team to achieve a goal.  But, more importantly, it was one way young people could contribute to the life of the church and to celebrate God.

Several months ago, I read an article in Huffington Post which added a benefit which I hadn't thought of.  It relieves stress!  Click here.  And NPR just wrote a piece also on the health benefits of singing in a choir. Click here.

Won't you or a member of your family, consider joining one of our choirs.  You will benefit in so many ways, while making a contribution to the St. Mark community by glorifying God.  And, you may make a friend or two.

Jaclyn Morgan, 2013 (middle row, middle singer, late 1950's) with my brother-in-law Tom in the bow tie, my cousin with the long banana curl and sister with the braid.  Click here for more information on our music programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment