Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Letter from Ryan

Dear St Mark Families,


As many of you have heard, I will be leaving St Mark in the middle of February to begin new ministry with my wife in Peoria, Illinois. Sharing this news, I feel a deep sadness as I prepare to leave, but also a sincere gratitude for your friendship, for your support, for the many ways that we have been able to serve God together in the last 3 years, and for the new opportunity that God is preparing for both Andrea and I. I will miss you all deeply. It truly has been a blessing and privilege to serve alongside you all as your youth director.

While at St Mark, I have seen the Spirit empower and raise up incredible adult and youth servant leaders. I am truly inspired by the commitment that each of you has brought in your own way to serving God and building up the Body of Christ. And I know that God will continue to prepare and push St Mark to be a loving and serving community of faith.



When I look back on the last 3 years of serving with St Mark, I have more fond memories that I can count; memories that I will cherish for a lifetime. I am so grateful for the ways that we were built up by the Spirit, including those weekend-long Mound Ridge retreats, even when the retreats included pranks like saran-wrapping the youth director’s bunk. 
I will continue to be inspired by the ways that our youth, college students, parents, and church has committed itself to serving our neighbors both locally and nationally. Over the last few years, we have developed a reputation as a servant church, that is humble and willing to the “dirty” jobs, like picking up the garbage at Churchill Downs, and cleaning the walls and floor of The Bridge: homeless shelter. St Mark has truly come to understand that the faithful calling that God has given to us, both individually and as a community, pushes us out in the world. This “serving-love” is to guide our relationships, empower us to seek reconciliation in our broken world, and continually re-kindle our living faith. It has been incredible to see this level of commitment to serving God and our neighbors. Even through small acts, I know that your witness, by both word and deed, will continue to be powerful. 

I will also continue to celebrate the ways in which our families have approached mission work and recreation with “reckless abandon”. I am truly inspired by the prayerful, yet sometimes rowdy, thoughtful conversation and Christian education that has taken place in youth group and in Bible study. It has been incredible to see the energy and commitment that St Mark to worship. I offer my sincerest thanks for the many of you who have brought courage, love, and faith to sharing the Good News in worship, in youth group testimonies, and by sharing your time and God-given gifts.
I will continue to follow with anticipation and excitement the ways that God will continue use St Mark for the work of love and reconciliation. 

Andrea and I are so grateful for all of your love, prayers, and encouragement. I will miss you all and hope to see you soon. I am grateful that Pastor Susan and I are already working on plans to join St Mark, and my future church First Federated Church of Peoria, where I will be ordained as Associate Pastor of Family Ministry, together for mission projects. Fortunately, it is a small Presbyterian world. This isn’t “goodbye”, but rather a “see you soon”. Andrea has already found several great opportunities to more fully share her gifts in Peoria, and we look forward to the new ways that God will use our family.
I will continue to keep in touch and we’ll be sure to share our updated contact information with St Mark.
Thank you again for helping to provide me with the opportunity to serve as your youth director. It truly has been a blessing serving with you.

Your Brother,
Ryan 

No comments:

Post a Comment