Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day and Love


1 Corinthians 13
New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
The Gift of Love
13 If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(Click here for another version)

Our Small Group at St. Mark Presbyterian is doing a study on holidays.  This week, we studied St. Valentine's Day from a historical and Christian perspective.  We asked what is the difference between the love described in the verse above and the love promoted by Valentine's Day.  One study says that in 2008, Americans spent $16.9 billion for Valentine's Day ($120 per consumer).  We scratched our heads over how so much money could be spent to tell someone, "I love you."

We have been led to believe that by spending a lot of money on flowers, chocolates, cards, jewelry for someone shows our love, but wouldn't the day be better spent talking and sharing an activity that you both love. Or perhaps reflecting on your years together, renewing your vows to love, honor and cherish. . . 

Our Small Group study suggested that marriage is a commitment that liberates us to know each other more deeply. "Valentine's Day can be an opportunity for partners to say to one another what it is about the other person that thrills and gives life.  It can be a time to listen to the other person attentively and stay in touch with what is going on in her or his soul in order to keep the intimacy alive." ("Make Love, Not War" by Steve Lytch from TheThoughtfulChristian.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment