Monday, August 29, 2016

Deacon's Doings

Here’s another perspective on being a deacon from V. Chabot:

I was asked to consider being an elder a few years ago but when I thought about my personality and skill set, I knew I could better serve as a Deacon.

We joined St. Mark 22 years ago after moving here from MI. Initially, I volunteered in the nursery, taught Sunday school and attended mid-week with our children. I also served on the Christian Education committee. That was about all I could handle while working and having small children. 

Fast forward to 2015 when our kids were grown up and I had more free time so it was a natural time to answer the calling. I had been working at the ABC sale each year in the toy room so I decided to take on the tri-chair position under the Deacons. I have met so many great people through this role. Even though I am a long time member of St. Mark, I can now put names with many more faces of people in our church. The best part of the ABC sale is that our profits help serve those in need. I have also delivered flowers, worked at the blood drives and helped make and deliver food for our members who need a warm meal. I also serve on the Membership and Evangelism Committee where it is my job to organize the greeter schedule.

Being a Deacon has been very gratifying and has made me step out of my comfort zone and grow as a person of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment