Thursday, February 22, 2018

Refined Taste


“Love loves unto purity. Love has ever in view the absolute loveliness of that which it beholds.
Therefore, all that is not beautiful in the beloved, all that comes between and is not of love's kind, must be destroyed. And our God is a consuming fire.” ― George MacDonald


I have never had particularly refined tastes when it comes to wine. I spent years in California learning about grapes, corks, bottles, and breathing, but I remain a neophyte. I know the difference between an average selection and a bad glass, but I do not have the palate to taste the nuance between something good and something great. I grew an appreciation for those who spend their lives working in the soil of the various vineyards. They labor every day making sure each vintage is as good as it should.

I am reminded of Jesus’ words to his disciples, “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:1-5.)

Lent is a period of penitence and preparation. God loves us so much where we are at, and God loves us so much that God does not want us to remain there. We are always called to grow, but we cannot ripen if we are not connected to vine. May we use this time to continue to stay in the Word and abide with God in prayer. Each of you is a unique vintage, and the Lord will continue to refine us as long as long as we remain in the vine-grower’s loving hands. May we all grow with grace!

In Hope and Confidence,
Pastor Dave

Read the Gospels in 40 Days: Luke 20-21

Photo by Rohit Tandon on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment