Thursday, May 11, 2023

Pastor's Message: What's Next?

 


May is one of my favorite months with the long sunny days, big leafy trees, and countless celebrations on the calendar. It’s the gateway to summer where the living is easy. The month also carries a unique melancholy for many as school wraps up, graduations come and go, and the question of, “What’s next?” echoes in our minds. This is also a unique time for us at St. Mark because it is our last full month together before my three-month sabbatical. I understand this upcoming season in the church likely raises many questions, anxieties, and worries among the congregation. I thought I would take this time to address some of the concerns you might have. 

Sabbaticals are designed to combat clergy burnout and provide space for spiritual rejuvenation and personal renewal. I am so thankful St. Mark recognizes the need to support pastors, and I believe this will be beneficial to all of us moving forward. I will be away from the church from June 4 to September 5. During this intentional time away from my pastoral duties, I will spend time traveling with our family, hiking with friends, and writing for personal edification. I am certain I will see some of you at the grocery store or walking through the neighborhood, and it is perfectly fine to have friendly conversations. However, it is important that I separate myself from the daily workings of the church and have time to recharge my batteries. 

St. Mark will be in very good hands as Pastor MP steps up to handle many of the head of staff responsibilities in my absence. We are also excited to welcome back Pastor Carol DeVaughn for the summer to assist with worship leadership and pastoral care. We are blessed to have both of them with us during this time. 

Church leadership experts recommend congregations look at pastoral sabbaticals as a time for personal and collective renewal. To that end, St. Mark is excited to offer summer reading and writing opportunities. Members and guests are encouraged to gather around one of four books for exploration and discussion. There is more information about this offering in the newsletter, and I hope you will consider participating in this opportunity. Moreover, there is an important writing component available for all who would like to explore finding their spiritual voice. This is not required, but I promise it will be helpful and will run parallel to the personal writing I plan on doing during my time away. 

The summer months will provide a wonderful opportunity for all of us to live out our collective CREDO as we seek, discover, and share the good news of Jesus Christ. Please feel free to contact me during the month of May if you have any questions about the sabbatical. May God continue to bless you during the summer months and beyond. 

In Hope and Confidence, 

Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment