Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Moderator's Report

 


 “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1, NRSV.) 

St. Mark Presbyterian Church experienced several different seasons over the past year. There are the ones we recognize easily because of our liturgy and the changes in the worship space, but I’m not talking about Lent, Easter, Advent, or Christmas. The church went through many unique periods in 2023, and it’s appropriate to remember, to celebrate, and to examine ways we can continue to grow spiritually as individuals and as a church.

 A Time to Grow: Our congregation continued its strong connection with our neighbors by hosting many Claymont Neighborhood Association events in the facility and on the parking lot. These events provide a fellowship opportunity for our community, and I am thrilled to see so many St. Mark people at these gatherings. We’ve also seen an increase in the number of firsttime visitors and returning guests at our Sunday worship service. I believe this is directly tied to our initiatives to welcome more people to our campus. I am excited about the broad age-range of those getting involved at the church. I love how much we have grown as a welcoming congregation over the years. 

A Time to Keep Silent: St. Mark made a bold, healthy, and helpful decision several years ago to establish a clergy sabbatical program. I was able to disconnect from the congregation for three months last summer. I know the time away caused anxiety among some, but I believe the hard work of Pastor MP, Pastor Carol, and the rest of the staff helped to alleviate these fears. The period away provided me an opportunity to spend more time with my family, travel to several Civil War battlefields, and sharpen my pastoral axe. I returned to the church in early September with a renewed energy for my call here at St. Mark.

 A Time to Weep: 2023 was not without its own share of difficult challenges. We said goodbye to several longtime friends who finished their earthly race and who now rest from their labors. The session also made the difficult decision to conclude the Saturday evening worship service. The church started the service in the late 1990s as an alternative for people who could not attend Sunday morning. The internet was still in its infancy, and Facebook, YouTube, and other social media sites did not exist. A lot has changed in the past 25 years, and everyone is now able to participate in the Sunday morning service remotely or watch it ondemand. I, along with many others, mourn the conclusion of the Saturday service, but it served its purpose for many years, and, for that, we give God the glory! 

A Time to Seek: I am so excited about what God is doing in, with, and through us here at St. Mark. Along with the increase in attendance and participation, I see a renewed emphasis in 7 education, mission, and civic engagement. I trust we will all continue to live out our CREDO as we SEEK, DISCOVER, and SHARE the good news of Jesus Christ with all of our neighbors.

 In Hope and Confidence, Pastor Dave 

No comments:

Post a Comment