Thursday, March 3, 2016

God's Presence

Philippians 4: 7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

2001 was a tumultuous and difficult year for me and my family, with my son's diagnosis of a malignant brain tumor.  There are so many things I've learned that I could write about, that it is difficult to choose.  Most would take pages rather than paragraphs.

The most important lesson is both simple and profound.  I have reached out to God in ways I never have before, and I have experienced His presence as near before.  He has always been there, but in reaching out, I have discovered Him waiting for me.  I've felt His and the Holy Spirit's presence, guidance, comfort, peace and love in more ways than I can count.  It has truly been incredible, and mere words cannot express my gratitude to Him.

The first two verses of a favorite hymn of mine (words by George Chadwick, 1893) express it better than I:

I sought the Lord, and afterward I knew
He moved my soul to seek him, seeking me;
It was not I that found, O Savior true
No, I was found of thee. 
Thou didst reach forth thy hand and mine enfold;
I walked and sank not on the storm-vexed sea---
'Twas not so much that I on thee took hold,  As thou, dear Lord, on me.

It is sad that it frequently takes a tragedy to teach us this lesson.  He reached my hand and is holding it tightly, and He will do the same for you.  Try it and see.  It's not necessary to wait for a tragedy or difficult times.  You will be blessed.

Prayer  Heavenly Father, help us always to remember that You are greater than our needs, and always more ready to hear than we are to pray.  Thank you for your presence in our lives in good times and bad.  Help us to seek and do Your will in our lives always.  In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

Reprinted from St. Mark Presbyterian's 2002 Lenten Devotional with permission of N. Fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment