Thursday, March 17, 2016

Imagine

Open your eyes and look at the fields!  They are ripe for harvest John 4: 35
M.B. Powell at Labyrinth in St. Louis


A rather odd set of circumstances found me vacationing in New York City with my parents a few years ago.  The parents had taken their 39+ year old daughter to the Statue of Liberty.  We chatted with the lady from Tokyo who stood in front of us in the long line.  We were trying to explain that we were from St. Louis in Missouri. "Near Branson." She replied.  The way she envisioned the significant locales in Missouri made us smile!

The next morning I was off to the final "must see" sight---Strawberry Fields in Central Park.  When I explained to my parents that this was a memorial for John Lennon, they just kind of looked at me.  The taxi driver had a similar reaction and gave me an update on what had been done recently and instructed me to stay on the winding path.  And so I was off to gather more ideas for the garden at home that would have more "history".

The morning was beautiful and the sprinklers turned off as I arrived.  There were people dressed in business suits sitting on the benches reading.  The greenery was lush under the shad of big old trees.  It was sooooo quiet.  No conversation to be heard.  Chirping birds contributed to the only music to b found.  Thus I arrived at the center of Strawberry fields and the overwhelming stone mosaic in the shape of a large sunburst.  In the center was carved a single, simple word. . .Imagine.

I stood there totally overwhelmed with the beauty and simplicity of the place.  This simple word was a call to action I thought.  Imagine all that could be if dress and hopes could be achieved.  Imagine all that the Heavenly Father envisioned for his Son as he lived his earthly life.  Who among the people of his day, could imagine the influence that Jesus would have on individuals and the course of history!  Imagine the power of his teachings in our lives and imagine all that is still to be done.  The field is ready for harvest.  We go forth with a vision---a mission---to lead our lives according to the teachings and love of Jesus Christ as we seek to make disciples of all nations.  Imagine the difference each of us as individuals and together can make in the lives of others!

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art---
Thou my best thought by day or night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

Reprinted from St. Mark Presbyterian's 2001 Lenten Devotional with permission of M. B. Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment