Thursday, July 14, 2016

What it Means to be a Deacon

For me, the call to be a Deacon meant an opportunity to get “re-involved” in the Church. When my children were young, I actively participated in the life of St. Mark by teaching Sunday School, volunteering at VBS, and being a member of PW and the Children’s Ministries Committee. As my boys grew, I went back to work part-time, and I had the overwhelming feeling of over-commitment. I started to pull away from the church, but never pulled away from God. He heard my prayers about making the right parenting choices, and also for my brother and his family as he received a cancer diagnosis. Many of my prayers have been answered!

So, when I became a Deacon, the Care Giving Committee really spoke to me. I feel as though I have always been a sort of care giver, whether with my own family, or my students that I teach, so this was right up my alley, and it is a job I take very seriously. Care Giving is such an important ministry for the members of St. Mark, and I am grateful to be a part of such a wonderfully dedicated group of individuals. I have met so many new people, as well as reconnecting with some old friends. Our committee is very self-directed fulfilling needs with cards, funeral receptions in time of grief, and meals…many, many meals! This support is much needed and greatly appreciated by those that benefit. With humbleness and grace, our St. Mark members always step up in someone’s time of need. For that, our committee is so thankful! We are truly blessed to support our members through the Care Giving Committee!

Missy Reiter, Care Giving Committee Deacon

For more on this committee, click here.

Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment