Sunday, August 12, 2018

Worship Prayers for Aug. 5

CENTERING PRAYER  Holy, holy, holy Lord, God Almighty, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, your love endures forever.  I am like the flower that blooms in its season, watered by the earth and morning dew.  You send the sun and rain, morning, midday, and evening, giving light and life.  Thank you for protection through the night; thank you for your presence in the dawn. Renew my strength this day and let me love you with all my heart and soul and might.  Bear with me as I bear my cross for Christ, for I know that I will falter.  You remember that I am only dust, but you have breathed your Spirit into me and my face is renewed.  How can I show my gratitude? Grant that I may be one with the mind of Christ, loving my neighbor as myself and giving as freely of myself as you have given yourself to me.  Guide me today to serve in deep peace wherever there is need for healing or hope.  Use me to show others that you are the power who transforms the world and that you are the One who saves sinners.  This day and this night, in this life and in the life to come, let me live in you to praise you, God who is three, God who is one.  Amen.

CALL TO WORSHIP
We do not live by bread alone,
        but by the Word who became flesh
and dwells among us.
        Christ is the true bread of heaven,
the manna of freedom.
        Come, let us worship and give thanks.


   PRAYER OF CONFESSION
Holy One, whose love and justice condemn us, whose mercy and kindness feed us, we confess our sins and pray for your forgiveness.  What terrible suffering we have unleashed. We have used other persons without regard for their dignity; we have abused the earth without care for its beauty or concern for future life; we have sought to bargain with you to smooth our way to heaven.

God, change us.  Put the Spirit of Christ within us and cause us to grow into mature, faithful disciples of the one who came from you to save us from our sin.  Free us from captivity to our selfishness, bind us to the whole body of Christ, and let us bear witness to the truth that your love holds everything together in perfect unity.  We pray in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  (Silent Confession)


SCRIPTURE READING                                                             John 6:24-35

  
† AFFIRMATION OF FAITH –  Westminster Confession of Faith Shorter Catechism Question One
        What is our chief end?
        Our chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy God forever.

For the sermon "Biscuits and Grace", click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment