Sunday, September 1, 2019

Worship Prayers for Aug. 24, 25

CENTERING PRAYER
God of healing and reconciliation, you free us from our burdens and promise us safety and refuge.
Help us to trust in your power, that we may praise you without qualification and rejoice in the power of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

CALL TO WORSHIP
God is our rock and our fortress. The Lord is our refuge and strength. God is our hope and our trust. Let us praise the Lord together!

PRAYER OF CONFESSION
God of Life, you come to us as a consuming fire, and the one who consecrated us before time. You promise us a kingdom that cannot be shaken and call us to serve you with praise and thanksgiving, but we forget and yield to fear. We put our trust in the things we can touch in the world and neglect your promises. We confess we are a divided people fostering separations and widening rifts in our families, in our communities, and in the world. Open us to your healing. Free us from all that distances us from your presence. Give us your grace and inspire us to serve you with courage. We continue to pray through our savior, Jesus Christ. (Silent Confession)

AFFIRMATION OF FAITH – Heidelberg Catechism Question One
Q. 1. What is your only comfort, in life and in death? A. That I belong--body and soul, in life and in death--not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.

For the sermon "Born For This", click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment