Thursday, October 10, 2019

AMY SHELTON’S CREDO


“The Power of Kindness, Laughter, and Compassion”

Most Christian credos probably start out with belief in the Triune God. I believe in God Almighty (as a Parent, not Father – I don’t believe God has a gender), Jesus Christ who died for our sins, and the Holy Spirit (which I affectionately refer to as my “gut” – not the physical manifestation but rather the sense of intuition). But I feel that a credo should also include doctrines that guide behavior; those things for which you stand and which impact how you act. I have three primary principles: kindness, laughter, and compassion.

I firmly believe in kindness as a way of living, both in thought and deed. This is not to say that I don’t have snarky thoughts or always try to behave in a righteous way. But I always end up coming back to Kindness. If my words or deeds offend someone, I am wracked with guilt. If a person or subject is upsetting me, I try to look at everything from a kinder perspective. Here is a Bible verse I like about KINDNESS:
Titus 3:4-7 New International Version (NIV)
4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Next up: Laughter, which we all know is the best medicine. It really is! Even when we use humor to diffuse a tense situation or deal with a trauma, laughter lightens the load. And while we are laughing at any pain, we usually find out that we’re not alone. Misery loves
company, but laughter can bring miserable people together and shine a new light on their troubles. It certainly allows me to see the same glass as half full rather than half empty (a small thing, but can be huge ~ it’s all about perspective).
LAUGHTER:
Ecclesiastes 8:15 Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
So I commended enjoyment because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat, drink, and enjoy himself, for this will accompany him in his labor during the days of his life that God gives him under the sun.

And lastly, in our world of so many differences, compassion is key. How can we be kind to someone who is different if we don’t have compassion? How can we truly love ALL of God’s children without compassion? I even lean towards empathy as I often try to truly understand how a person feels in certain situations. It’s like empathy is compassion on steroids.
COMPASSION:
Colossians 3:12 NIV
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

So there you have it: Amy’s Credo: Kindness, Laughter, and Compassion. Of course there are so many additional worthy principles and belief systems out there, but these are mine. I own them. They have a power all unto themselves; I hope they make me a better person.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for showing that beliefs are connected to behavior. I think they are inseparable, in that beliefs die from lack of practice. I have never thought of laughter as part of my credo, but it reflects a forgiving spirit, one that does not take itself too seriously. I also liked the scripture you quoted in support. The Colossians passage virtually supports your whole credo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete