Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Letter from Angela Kamuyu

August 23, 2019
Dear Victoria and Bill,

Hope this finds you well. I am pleased to be back on touch again after a long break.

Am doing fine here in Kenya and I thank God. My family also is doing fine. I did arrive safely to Kenya in May [2018]. Then took a short trip to Scotland. I waited at home until my new posting. I was helping out with the Presbyterian national youth board as a co-opted member.

In January 2019, I was posted by the Church to a new presbytery and, this time, in a school as a Chaplain (a dream come true). Am stationed at Alliance Girls High School in Kiambu County in the outskirts of Nairobi City. It is one of the leading national schools in Kenya with a student population of 1800, over 90 teachers and supporting staff. I do not teach but carry out chaplaincy duties and assist in parochial duties in neighboring parishes. My induction service was on 30th June this year a first of its kind since the school started 72 years ago. it reminded me of the many firsts I experienced in America.

When I returned to Kenya [after my time in the USA], there were changes in the education system and in the government that I have trying to learn. (In one year and nine months a lot had taken place). I am adjusting to my new station and responsibilities. I wanted to incorporate my parishioners in giving out the dresses [that St. Mark sent back with me]. Thus, it took a long time for the distribution with the help of the schoolgirls. They were happy to be a part since they do charity work in the community. The Anglican sponsored home receiving the dresses is taking care of orphans. They were more than happy to receive us, and we donated some food stuff contributed by the schoolgirls. I also told them the story of the little pretties, as I fondly refer to the dresses. We were so happy.

At the moment I am thinking of doing a course related to Chaplaincy either in Kenya or elsewhere. Again, if I get the chance to visit the US, then will I come and say hello. I still miss the fellowship and 'swallowship' (eat outs) memories that I still cherish.

The St. Mark Presbyterian family also taught me a lot. I related to so much here that I learnt there. Sunday services especially the choir singing, Rev. Dave preaching, cooking competitions, Mound Ridge retreat, programs - I remember sharing the experiences. My sincere regards for the times we spent together.

I miss your dog Whizzy; pat the furry friend for me.

Lots of love and best wishes,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment