Tuesday, April 21, 2020

BLESSINGS IN THE TIME OF VIRTUAL CHURCH

by Judy Richardson April 7, 2020

I am blessed but life is NOT the same. I want to attend Choir practice, attend St Mark, serve Communion, attend our book club meetings, attend Deacon meetings, attend Rachel Circle, go to Writers Life, potluck dinners, walk with friends, hug my daughter and her family. And I can’t do any of these things. Just because of a little microscopic organism which has hitchhiked its way around the whole world. Pandemic.

We are learning. On-line buying is about the only way we can buy goods that aren’t groceries . If I want restaurant food, I have to order online or call the order in and pick it up. Mostly it is a little cold by the time I get it home. Ugh!

I have decided to discontinue physical therapy for my shoulder. It is necessary for me to be in physical contact with my therapist and I am not the only one using the equipment. I will also not be seeing my chiropractor this week. Should I stay home? Maybe, maybe not, but I am most concerned about a virus which seems to prefer my age group.

I am so thankful that I can attend St Mark virtually. Praying and following along with the service, I feel uplifted and part of the Church community.. I am so glad that the Pastors used the sanctuary and put on their robes and Marsha played the organ and we had a hymn! It was uplifting and joyful. People were unable to do this during the Spanish Flu of the 1920’s. We are fortunate to live in this time.

I am looking forward to more virtual events at St Mark. On Palm Sunday I loved seeing the video shorts of people waving greens while the camera “walked” down the empty aisles. No animals to clean up after a Jerusalem Festival.

It is Easter week, which I always look forward to. I will enjoy the Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and Easter services virtually, but my, I will miss seeing everyone in their Easter best. I will also miss watching my grandsons as they greedily hunt for the dozens of plastic “eggs” they find in their grass.

 I am thankful that no one in my family here or in Washington State, New Jersey, Idaho, or North Carolina or Nevada have contracted this formidable virus.

I am also thankful that Jesus loves me and always is there for me in my time of need and I feel selfish that I sometimes forget to mourn the many people who are succumbing to this dreadful disease.

I am lucky to have a husband who insists on learning and studying everything he can get his hands on to keep us safe. I believe God wants us to use the brains he gave to us.

My deprivations are tiny when I think of what others in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are facing. I can work in my garden, FaceTime with my daughter and family. I can walk and maintain distance. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment