Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Shelter and Protection

Last night at Writer's Life, a group at our church, John shared a story about a special tree in his yard which had me thinking about some of my trees---especially the redbud and dogwood trees.  I have spent good money buying redbud and dogwood trees even though they are native to Missouri.  I have been lured by the the red leaves and pink blossoms of the cultivated trees, but those trees died.

I, now have a yard full of dogwoods and redbuds which I never planted---they are "God-planted" trees.  One of the dogwoods, in my front is about 36" from where I planted one of my store-bought trees.  Another dogwood is right outside our sunroom and is  framed by Dave's window.  It forms a beautiful screen between us and our neighbor.  My last dogwood, I call "bonsai"---it is way too close to our house and drive-way, but I love seeing it there, so I keep cutting it back.

We have always had a redbud on our backyard berm---our current one was so overshadowed by the older one that it has a permanent lean.  And then, I have another very close to the house which the birds love to sit in near the bird feeders, but it is too weak to bear the weight of a squirrel.

The rest of the dogwoods and redbuds are in a wooded area at the back of our lot growing naturally under the canopy of the larger locust, sweet gum and oak trees.  It's interesting that he trees I love are all "wild" trees growing where God planted them---with the help of squirrels and birds.  They aren't where I thought they should be but where they grow naturally---near the house and under the larger trees.  Some trees just need the company  and protection of others---that's where they gain strength to let their beauty shine.  We can't all be strong oak trees or perpetually active pine trees, some of us need help and protection.  If it's all part of God's plan for trees, then it is part of God's plan for us too.  Those of us who are strong and independent, need to recognize that others might need our shelter and protection to flourish and bloom.

Dear God,
Thank you for all of our health care workers, military and first responders who protect us from illness and tragedy.  Knowing they are there, helps those of us who are weak, to live our lives with clarity, purpose and confidence.  Please, God, watch over them as they fight many different kinds of battles in order to protect us from harm.  Amen

Jaclyn Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment