Sunday, May 17, 2020

Worship Service May 17

Worship begins at 10:30 AM Click here


Sixth Sunday of Easter May 17, 2020

 ORDER OF WORSHIP 

CENTERING PRAYER Past, Present, and Future God, Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer, help us to remember home and to hope in the promised land, that we might know you, Alpha and Omega, Three in One. Amen.

 PRELUDE Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehoval Hegarty

WELCOME and ANNOUNCEMENTS

CALL TO WORSHIP
By the rivers of Babylon – there we sat down and there we wept when we remembered Zion.
How could we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land? 
If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right had wither!
Let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember you,
If I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy.

† HYMN O Come, O Come Emmanuel (verses 1, 2, 6, 7)      Hymnal #88

PRAYER OF CONFESSION
God of Life, you come to us as a consuming fire, and the one who has consecrated us before time. You promise us a kingdom that cannot be shaken and call us to serve you with praise and thanksgiving, but we forget, and yield to fear. We trust in the tangible rewards of this world, and neglect your promises. We confess that we are a divided and displaced people; we foster separations and widen rifts in our families, our communities, and in the world. Open us to your healing. Free us from all that distances us from your presence. Give us your grace and inspire us to serve you with courage; through Jesus Christ who comes to save. (Silent Confession)

ASSURANCE OF GRACE

† SHARING THE PEACE OF CHRIST The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.

SCRIPTURE Jeremiah 29:4-14 

SERMON “Out of Place” Rev. Dr. Dave Burgess

AFFIRMATION OF FAITH Heidelberg Catechism, Question One Q. What is your only comfort, in life and in death? A. That I belong--body and soul, in life and in death--not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him. 

OFFERING

† THE DOXOLOGY

PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE & THE LORD’S PRAYER

† HYMN I Will Come to You      Hymnal #177

 † CHARGE AND BLESSING POSTLUDE Call of the Trumpets Purcell

†You are invited to stand, as you are able.

For other Sunday worship activities, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment