Sunday, January 17, 2021

Worship for January 17

January 17, 2021 

10:00 am Virtual Service 

ORDER OF WORSHIP 


CENTERING PRAYER – Desmond Tutu

Disturb us, O Lord

when we are too well-pleased with ourselves 
when our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little, 
because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, O Lord

when with the abundance of things we possess, 
we have lost our thirst for the water of life 
when, having fallen in love with time, 
we have ceased to dream of eternity 
and in our efforts to build a new earth, 
we have allowed our vision of Heaven to grow dim.

Stir us, O Lord

to dare more boldly, to venture into wider seas 
where storms show Thy mastery, 
where losing sight of land, we shall find the stars.

In the name of Him who pushed back the horizons of our hopes 

and invited the brave to follow. Amen

PRELUDE      I Want to Walk As a Child of the Light      arr. Behnke 

WELCOME and ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

CALL TO WORSHIP (Psalm 139)

 

O Lord, you search us and know us. You know when we sit down and when we rise up.

Here I am, heal me.

Even before a word is on my tongue, O Lord, you know it completely.

Here I am, help me.

We praise you for we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works.

Here I am, send me.


† HYMN      “Lift Every Voice and Sing”      Hymnal #339

 

PRAYER OF CONFESSION

 

All-Powerful God, you know us completely, but we still try to hide our lives from you and pretend you cannot see us. You knit us together in our mothers’ womb, but we live as if we are not part of a much bigger family. You bid us to come and follow, but we make selfish plans of our own and get lost in our wanderings. We condemn the speck in our neighbor’s eye while excusing the plank in our own. Forgive us for our hardened hearts, our dim vision, and animosity toward those around us. Show us the better path forward and help us to stay close to your loving presence. (Silent Confession)


ASSURANCE OF GRACE 


† SHARING THE PEACE OF CHRIST 

The peace of Christ be with you. And also with you. 


SCRIPTURE 1 Samuel 3:1-20 


SERMON “Do Not Disturb” Rev. Dr. Dave Burgess 

 

AFFIRMATION OF FAITH – HEIDLEBERG CATECHISM QUESTION ONE

 

Q. What is your only comfort, in life and in death?  

 

A. That I belong--body and soul, in life and in death--not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him. 

 

OFFERING

 

The earth belongs to God, our creator; every good thing is a gift from the Lord. Let us glorify God through the gifts of our lives. Please join me in prayer...

 

We give you thanks, O God, for every blessing and spiritual gift you pour out upon us. Let the gifts of our lives be a source of blessing in your world, all to the glory of your holy name. Amen.


SPECIAL MUSIC     I Want to Walk As a Child of the Light      Thomerson 


† THE DOXOLOGY


PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE AND THE LORD’S PRAYER 


† HYMN “I, the Lord of Sea and Sky” Hymnal #69 


† CHARGE AND BLESSING 


† BENEDICTION RESPONSE “Come! Live in the Light” Hymnal #749 


POSTLUDE Fantasia on ‘I Want to Walk‘ Behnk


†You are invited to stand, as you are able. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment