Monday, April 19, 2021

Love BEARS all things

 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:7 (ESV) 


“God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good.” 

Can I say the same? I made him myself! He is the first teddy bear I remember having. He’s made of a sheet from the rag bin and material that was used for doll clothes. He was stitched on a tiny Singer sewing machine and by my 8-year-old hands. The construction would probably not be called “very good” but he’s still here 65+ years later. 


Since then, teddy bears and I have developed a connection. I love them and they love me. Nanook was my first real teddy bear and the only one until I got to college. Phi Bear is the Alpha Phi mascot and so began a serious attachment to the little loves. Nothing says love like a teddy bear or gives me such warm hugs when no one else is around. I do programs for groups on the history of teddy bears and it never gets old. (An aside, the first program I ever did for PW was the very first teddy bear Powerpoint many moons ago.)

Phi Bear

 So where is this going? Teddy bears are symbols of love, care, hope and support. For me, they are reminders that love bears all things! Love helps us help others as we bear their burdens with them so they are never alone. We are reminded that God is love. Hopefully sharing love and the love of God with others is something I can do at a “very good” level. I am a work in progress as are the handmade bears. Even the bear making skills progressed when I made one for my mother way back when.. 

The PW Brunch in September 2021 will have a teddy bear theme. I can hardly wait. Mark your calendar for Saturday, September 11. I know there are many teddy bears and pictures out there just waiting to share their stories. Now is the time to start rounding them up. In the meantime, share lots of safe bearhugs as the world around us begins to open up.

Godspeed my friends, 

Gaspode and Mary Beth Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment