Tuesday, March 7, 2023

How Would I Respond?



 Mark 8:34-9:1

I have often wondered how I would have received Jesus, if I had lived during his time.  Would I have been like the Jewish officials of the day, arguing with Jesus trying to keep the status quo?  Would I have written him off as a shouting loon?  Would I have politely ignored him, embarrassed by his strange behavior?  Would I have laughed and made fun of this person making outlandish statements about he poor and hungry?  Could I have followed Jesus when it wasn't acceptable?

Lent is an opportunity to recommit ourselves to a life of faith in Jesus Christ.  It is an intense time to think about how you are receiving Christ's message today.  Lent is a time of dying to self, so that you may be raised into a new life in the Risen Lord.  Are you willing to be transformed and renewed by the example of Christ?  Are you ready to follow Jesus, whose way isn't acceptable according to today's standards?

Loving and eternal God, I try so hard to understand your ways fro me, but find it hard to follow them when I finally do figure out where You are leading me.  Please help me to accept Your will for me and Christ's message to me.  Help me to put aside my own self-centeredness so that those I encounter will know Your goodness. Amen.


Bob Hagel

Reprinted from 1998 Lenten Devotions with permission of the author.

Photo by Sushil Nash on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment