Wednesday, March 8, 2023

It’s the Little Things

 “Whoever is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much” (Luke 16:10a, NRSV.)


 I don’t know if it’s the time of year, my age, or recently connecting with some old friends, but I’ve got a serious case of nostalgia-itis. I find myself re-reading well-loved poems, re-watching favorite movies, and looking at family photos over and over again. I suppose the biggest culprit for my condition is the upcoming graduation of my oldest daughter and her impending move to her new college home in the fall. I know many of you have gone through this before, and the mark of successful parenting is releasing our children into the world to learn, to grow, and to discover for themselves. 

There is a pervasive worry that, as parents, we failed to cover every single answer to the infinite number of questions our kids will face in the world. Of course, this is impossible, and we trust our children to make decisions that honor God, our family, and themselves. We’ve never been a family that makes grand gestures with our gifts. There haven’t been special trips abroad, new cars on birthdays, or expensive clothes from the trendiest stores. We show our love in countless little ways like dinner together at the dining room table, attending every sporting event, and helping with homework along the way. Truth be told, we aren’t much good with this after several decades outside of the classroom. The point is we try to help whenever we can. I trust our children will remember this during those times when the skies darken and the road ahead is unclear. 

I know it is also easy to get nostalgic in the church. We gravitate toward familiar faces, long to sing well-worn hymns, and talk about the “good ole days” when everything seemed a little bit easier. I admit I am guilty of this from time to time. While we certainly have reason to celebrate our past, the future is very bright at St. Mark Presbyterian Church. The same God who was with us since our founding is leading us right now into a hopeful tomorrow. The church is never about any one individual but is a collection of folks with different God-given gifts to share with others. Most of us are not able to make grand gestures with our giving, but we show our love in little ways as we journey together. Some do this by purchasing blankets through the Presbyterian Women for people with unknown needs. Others help by attending the Trivia Night and supporting our youth mission trip to Puerto Rico. Many will help by taking the Lenten Challenge and assisting in the digging of countless clean water wells in Africa. All of these little things add up to a lot of love, and I am so thankful to serve alongside you all. I truly believe God remembers these things and shines blessings down on all of us. 

May we all be faithful with both the little and the big things as we move forward into March. 

In Hope and Confidence, 

Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment