Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bible Study

Soon after my mother died a Christian neighbor asked me to attend a men's Bible study he and a couple of his church friends had started.  I had a feeling that God was reaching out to me through my friend Tim.  I was at a point in my life that needed answers and God heard my prayers.  Like many, I had grown up in a Christian family, attended church regularly and went through all of the motions that would be expected of a Christian.  During the Bible study more questions developed.  Questions that personal reflection could not answer.

I was forced to ask the experts! Dan was very helpful and invited me to attend a new Bible class he was starting.  I felt a little uneasy about my lack of biblical knowledge.  I knew the "big" stories but felt inadequate about my knowledge of the Bible as a whole.  I leaped!  My fears were unfounded.  The class was made up of people just like me who had questions to problems and felt that they might get answers through Holy Scripture.  As the Bible study progressed, I discovered that I had only been hearing the words spoken on Sunday.  It became apparent to me that understanding comes from studying and discussing.



Once again God spoke through another person, Jim Crippen.  Jim called me and asked if I would like to attend a men's only Bible study.  Thus began the men's Bible study and discussion group-affectionately called the "6:15 Men's Bible Study".  We have continuously met for almost three years now.  What we have learned from this gathering is that men need to talk out loud in a "safe" environment.  We have also learned that men have different traits and concerns than their wives do.  In addition men will discuss and share only when they know that the discussion stays within the group...

I have learned that God works through everyday people like Jim Crippen...and Tim Loyd.  Bible study should be part of your Christian journey.  I invite all to attend one of the many study groups being offered here at St. Mark.  You will be glad you did.

Bruce Cranston, Member of 6:15 Men's Bible Study
Written for the St. Mark Presbyterian Lenten Devotional, 2002

This Bible Study still meets at 6:15 on Tuesday mornings.  Other Adult Education and Bible Study groups meet on Sunday morning at St. Mark Presbyterian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment