Friday, February 22, 2013

God's Plans For Us

http://www.amazon.com/Having-Mary-Heart-Martha-World/dp/1578562589
"For I  know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future"  Jeremiah 29:11

My circle is reading the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.  Its author uses Luke10:38-41 (which tells of a time when Jesus and his disciples were guests in the home of Mary and Martha) as a springboard from which to explore the importance of finding "Mary moments" amidst the hubbub of a busy "Martha world."

For most of my life, I have definitely been more of a Martha---just ask anyone who knows me!

But I realized recently, I have a Mary body.



I've struggled for some time now with a cluster of neurological symptoms that mystify my doctors and often frustrate me.  As they wax and wane, I find myself having to listen more to my body to learn how best to care for myself and patiently (yeah, right!) wait for what it is I'm experiencing to pass.

It's during these times that I need my "Mary moments" most, and that this passage from Jeremiah 29:11 is most comforting to me: "For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future".  How reassuring to know that even if I don't understand, God does and that just as He had a plan for his son to die on the cross, so too, He has a plan for me.

My hope this Lenten season is that I will have many "Mary moments."  They teach and comfort me.  I wish for you the same.

Jill Boyd

This was from the 2005 St. Mark Presbyterian Lenten Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment