Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Trusting and Doing


The piece that I wrote for a 1998 St. Mark devotional was re-published on March 20 earlier in this Lenten series. It was titled "Trusting The Lord" and was based on Proverbs 3:5-6. Now, sixteen years later, here is my post-script:

I still believe everything I said in that earlier devotional on trusting. Proverbs 3:5-6 tells me to “trust” in the Lord. And I do. But now I have had more life experiences, and the landscape along my journey has changed. To me, ‘trust’ now sounds much more passive than active. I have come to believe that I am called to not only trust God but to also ‘do good’ in an active challenging way.

To undertake a challenge requires intentionality. So, I find myself contemplating: is it worth hard effort? what if I don’t enjoy it? what if I can’t succeed? Do I want to expose myself to possible discomfort and fear of uncertainty? These questions and feelings create anxiety that can keep me from intentionally taking the challenge.


Whether the challenge is caring for my physical and spiritual health or a mental task of making a plan and following through, I sometimes feel lonely and tired before I even begin. Passivity and complacency grows rather than creativity and activity. I quit before I even start.

But the Bible teaches me to trust God and ‘do’. I think that is how Jesus lived:  But be doers of the word and not merely hearers…but doers who act – they will be blessed in their doing. James 1:22-25

Dear Lord,
Help me to choose trust and courage – trust in You and courage to challenge myself to live an abundant life. This way of living is both difficult and joyful. Grant me courage and strength for the tough journey and help me find some fellow traveling companions who will share the joy of acting on the challenges. Amen.

V. Sherman 

No comments:

Post a Comment