Thursday, March 20, 2014

Trusting the Lord

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.

I memorized this verse as a young adolescent.  That effort has served me well over the years.  When I can't figure things out, when things don't happen as I had envisioned, this verse tells me to trust God with the final outcome.  I don't have to understand all of the mysterious circumstances of life.  I am called to TRUST.  I am not required to make sense of or find answers for everything.  My job is to recognize God in all aspects of my life, to ACKNOWLEDGE Him.  Then, when I have done my part, He will do His part-"direct my paths" (The New Revised Version says it another way-"make straight your paths.")  To me this is a covenant.  When I trust and acknowledge my need for and dependence on God, He then promises to guide me.  He gives me strength and wisdom to do His will and make right choices.  And my spirit is receptive for obedience to accept His ways.



When anxiety hits, this verse comes to mind.  It brought me comfort and assurance in the birthing recovery room after discovering the shocking news that my daughter was born with some deformities.  I knew God would help me to deal with the impact it would have on her.  Trusting in God helped me find the path of strength and wisdom when I consoled my mother-in-law on the unexpected death of her husband.  And when I remember to draw daily on its instruction, this verse brings peace even in small issues.  I tell God my concern and that I trust Him.  He sustains and guides.  HE PROMISES!  And I believe Him.

Dear Lord,
Help us to lean on You and Your wisdom to trust in Your final outcome.  Give us strength and peace to navigate the rough waters that lead us to You. Amen.

Reprinted with permission of V. Sherman from 1998 St. Mark Presbyterian Lenten Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment