Saturday, April 5, 2014

Colors


The colors of winter-
brown, gray and black -
relieved only by the occasional
patch of snow left from the last storm.


Even on the clearest of days,
the blue sky is uninviting
when the clouds have been scared away
by the sharp northwest wind across our landscape.

And then it happens . .
just when I think I can't take another day.
I hear the chirp of a fat robin in my yard
and I see the smallest of green tips as spring flowers
awake from their wintery slumber underground.

There is life in this world after all-
that is the promise of spring.
All which has appeared dead for so long
returns to life to start the cycle again.

Jesus was dead upon that Cross
and buried in the tomb;
but God's gift to his children -
the promise of everlasting life -
is mine by faith alone.

For when Jesus died that day long ago,
he assumed all my sins.
By the Grace of God,
I am forgiven - and like the promise of spring,
I know the promise of Easter.

Lord,
Give us your power to let our lights shine
As they reflect your love, peace and righteousness
To the rest of the world.

Reprinted with permission from M. Lewis from St. Mark Presbyterian's 2001 Lenten Devotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment