Thursday, April 17, 2014

Father, Forgive Them

And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." Luke 23:34

I have been contemplating this scripture passage lately.  As many of you know, it occurs in the Bible during the crucifixion of Jesus.  Sometimes when I read the story, I think Jesus was talking to God about the soldiers who were pounding the nails into His hands and feet.  Sometimes, as I reread the passage, I think He was referring to the soldiers who were playing a dice game to see who would win His clothing.  Sometimes, when I'm in a reflective mood reading this passage, I think Jesus was looking out into the people's faces that were there watching Him die.  Sometimes, on a day like today, I think Jesus was talking to me.

I need forgiveness for some of the the things I do.  some of the things that I do that directly go against the teachings of Jesus.  Sometimes I stop myself, and say, "How should I handle this as Jesus would want me to?"



We must remember that Jesus died on the cross for all of us.  For all of our sins.  Even on the cross He petitioned the Father on our behalf.  What a wonderful Christ.  Thank God.

Dear God,

Thank you for sending your son to die on the cross for me.  Dear Christ, thank You for asking for my forgiveness.  Help me to life a life that is always mindful of You and Your ways. Amen.

Reprinted with permission of D. Schiro from St. Mark Presbyterian's 1999 Lenten Devotional.


No comments:

Post a Comment