Thursday, April 3, 2014

Protection

Psalm 91:11-14

Have you ever been afraid?  I know that I have.  That fear can come from anywhere, the death of a loved one, a scary movie, or even a
simple shadow.  I watched a movie called "Scream", and I was afraid to answer the phone when I was home alone.  I knew that this fear was foolish because things like that didn't really happen in the real world.

One night as I lay awake, after a rather startling episode of the "X-Files", I found that I could not sleep.  I rolled over and turned on the light.  I reached down to pick up a book.  I pulled up my Bible and began to flip through it.  That is when I found the verse about God protecting His people.  It went like this:

For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;  they will lift you up so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.  You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

"Because he loves Me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him, I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name."

This knowledge comforted me greatly, and now I have no more reason to be scared.

Heavenly Father,

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.  Thy rod and Thy staff will comfort me.  Thank You for Your comfort and protection.

Though the evils and the lures of the world surround me, they can never really touch me.  I am surrounded by Your Spirit, and Your Spirit gives me courage and strength fo face the world. Amen.

Re-printed with permission of A. Naylor from St. Mark Presbyterian's 1998 Lenten Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment