Saturday, December 1, 2018

Advent Devotional: God Lifts the Lowly

About the devotional "God Lifts the Lowly"

When planning Presbyterians Today’s 2018 Advent devotional, verse 52 from Mary’s Song of Praise, also known as The Magnificat, which is found in Luke 1, kept coming to me: He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly.

I began thinking about those times God had lifted me. I began thinking about those who have gifted me with their songs of praise — beautiful notes of God looking on them with mercy. I also thought about our world so in need of a Savior. And so, this year’s devotional is for you, for your friends and family, for the stranger next door — it’s a reminder that God has a song for us all.

Just ask Andrew Weatherly, who wrote the poems and created the artwork for this devotional. Andrew was in my Sunday school class while I was interning at a church during seminary. Even then, I could see more to him than his disability. Born with Down syndrome, Andrew hasn’t let anything stop him, and he now uses his art to raise awareness of the capabilities of those with special needs.

Krin Van Tatenhove joins me in writing this devotional, sharing his thoughts in Weeks 1 and 2. The father of a son with autism, Krin knows what it is like to fight “the system” so that his son can have the same opportunities as those who are labeled “normal.”

As for me, this project is close to my heart. I have a special-needs brother who struggles to find his place in the world. His time of Advent waiting seems endless at times, but God is working on his song of praise. May this devotional, inspired by Mary’s song, be an Advent blessing to you. May it be the reminder we all need that no matter what, God lifts us up.

Donna Frischknecht Jackson Editor, Presbyterians Today

To download this devotional provided by, Presbyterian Mission PC USA, click here or you can find it in the centerfold of Presbyterians Today magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment