Thursday, December 13, 2018

Emmanuel

Matthew 19:14

God came to us as a child.  And then he said, "Permit the children to come to me. . .for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."  On the night he was betrayed, he called God his father in the most personal way:  "Abba," which could be translated "Daddy."  "Abba, Father!  All things are possible for you; remove this cup from me/ et not what I will, but what you will."

God came to us in weakness and in the total trust of a child.  As Christians, we are faced with this paradox in a time when only power and mistrust are said to be required for secure relationships between actions and people.  "Emmanuel, " which means "God with us," does not mean a mighty Rescuer from all life's difficulties.  Instead it means God putting all hope in a peasant baby two thousand years ago in a small corner of the world.  It means the trust, commitment and love of a Son who still cried out "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?  It means a quiet truth:  "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it at all.

Reprinted with permission from Kevin Raquepaw from 1985 "Thoughts on Advent"

No comments:

Post a Comment