Thursday, April 14, 2022

Pause

 




I remember the day it happened. I was a relatively new Buick car sales person. I had arrived at work that morning excited to see what the day had in store for me and ready to meet it with anticipation and perhaps a little anxiety about what unknown challenges awaited. I was headed off on my way to my desk by another employee who blurted out to me the horrific news. I

t was September 11th, 2001 the day the 911 attacks against the World Trade Center occurred. I went to the customer waiting room, which by this time was packed full of employees and customers alike who were staring in disbelief at the horrors they were seeing on the TV monitor. 

These past weeks, we have been witnessing the terrible attack on Ukraine. Civilian targets have been wiped out and many civilian lives have been lost. We might feel lost not knowing what to do or what to say. 

Psalm 46 holds hope: “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult. Selah 

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved; God will help it when the morning dawns. The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah 

Come, behold the works of the Lord; see what desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire. “Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations; I am exalted in the earth.” The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah”

The word Selah found in the Psalm means “Pause.” We are called to pause for contemplation. The season of Lent calls us to pause. It is our time of preparation as we walk the path toward Easter Sunday. As we journey forward, let us pause allowing ourselves time to acknowledge the current situations around the world, perhaps specifically the situation in Ukraine. As Christians, followers of a Loving God, we need to find time to pause open our hearts and pray for peace. Pause and pray for God’s peace, mercy and love to prevail. Pause and pray like the first followers of Jesus equipped with the knowledge of the resurrection to come on Easter morning. For now, God calls us to, “Be Still and Know that I am God” 

God bless you, 

Pastor MP

No comments:

Post a Comment