Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Be Still


Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God.”

I think most of us can identify with this passage. Our over-scheduled, overly stressed days leave little or no “downtime.” So how are we to “be still” and know God? And just what is really meant by “be still?” Is it to be quiet or to be physically still? Is it to stop fighting or to let go as the Hebrew word Rapah for “be still” is interpreted?

Maybe it can be all or any of these. To know God does require us to openly accept Him. We need to quiet our thoughts so that we can do this. When we are physically busy and not “still” it is often hard to focus our thoughts.

Sometimes when I realize that things are moving too fast or I feel overwhelmed, I consciously repeat to myself “Be still and know that I am God.” I feel my breathing slow down and I am reminded to be open to listening to Him instead of everything else around me. I may not be able to stop my physical activity but I can “be still” and focus on God in the midst of noise, busyness, and daily obligations.

I can “still” my thoughts at my desk, with three or four people working and talking in our small, crowded (and often stressful) office. I can “be still” while washing dishes and preparing dinner, with the TV on in the background and the sounds of dogs and girls coming in and out of the kitchen. It doesn’t have to be a period of deep reflection; simply a time to slow down my thoughts and acknowledge the presence of God in my life; a time to be open to hearing Him.

Now this doesn’t come naturally! Every day is busy and crazy. Sometimes I have to consciously remind myself to quiet my thoughts and other times I am reminded by what I hear. One of my favorite songs on the radio is “Need You Now” by Plumb. One verse speaks to me and reminds me to try and turn off the confusion. It also reminds me that I am not the only one who struggles to do so! “I’m trying to hear that still, small voice. I’m trying to hear above the noise.”

This Lent I am trying, despite all the worldly noise and chaos, to be still and closer to God. I know there will be times when I could do better, but I will try. God wants us to be close to Him. He wants us to know that He will provide us strength and comfort. Try to be still. Try to let go and be open to God.

Click here if the video below doesn't appear.

Written for St. Mark Presbyterian in 2015 by Julie N.

No comments:

Post a Comment