Thursday, March 19, 2015

Living in the Light of Faith

See I will not forget you.  I have carved you in the palm of my hand. Isaiah 49: 16

Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father's house are many mansions.  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? John 14: 1-3

I am a supportive care nurse.  I care for people in their homes; patients who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness, many of whom are still receiving chemotherapy or radiation.  I had to work last weekend and as I was driving to my first patient's home, I turned on the radio.  A church service was being broadcast.

The congregation was singing a familiar Epiphany hymn, "Star of wonder, star of night, star with royal beauty bright, westward leading still proceeding, guide us to thy perfect light!"  I sang along.  The sermon began:  the minister challenged his listeners by asking if they lived their life in the light of fairth or the darkness of fear.  I began to reflect on this question and my mind wandered to my patients.  It is a great privilege to care for God's people at the closing of their earthly life  It has been my experience that those who have a strong anchor tethered to God, weather the storm of terminal illness, not in the darkness of fear but live their days in the light of faith.  Their faces reflect the peace that passes all understanding.

They smile, they laugh, they cry, they suffer great indignities of the body. . . . but not the soul.

As we look forward to the celebration of the Resurrection, let us live our lives in the light of faith.  We have nothing to fear.  Christ has gone before us and walks beside us.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your Son, to be my Sun, so that I no longer walk in the darkness of fear, but walk in the light of faith.  Amen.

Printed with permission of J. Hunt from St. Mark Presbyterian's 2002 Lenten Devotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment